The Great Heath
A wide tract of once uncultivated land lying immediately north of Cardiff. It is divided into two portions, called in English the Great Heath, and the Little Heath, the latter lying nearest the town. The entire Heath extends from the boundary of Saint John's parish northward to the foot of Cefn-on. Common rights in the Heath were granted in ancient times to the burgesses of Cardiff, but were gradually extinguished until, early in the 19th century, the whole remainder of the common land was divided among private owners by the Enclosure Awards of 1802 and 1808. A large share fell to the Corporation, but was eventually sold. The Heath Farm lands, close to the old Race Course, were said in 1849, to raise funds for building a new Town Hall. The remainder was disposed of circa 1863, to obtain the purchase-money for the new Cemetery. On the north of Ton-yr-ywen, the Heath may be seen in is original state, clad in gorse, fern and moss.
The Little Heath
Mynydd Bychan ("the Little Heath") A wide tract of once uncultivated land lying to the north of Cardiff. The English name distinguishes it from the Little Heath, in Welsh Waun Ddyfal ("the waste mead,") which lies between the Great Heath and the town. The Great Heath was divided under the Enclosure Award of 1809, the Corporation of Cardiff receiving a large share in fee, which they sold to various persons between 1809 and 1849. The name Mynydd Bychan is particularly that of a small farm three miles north north-west of Cardiff, on the east side of the road to Cefn-on. In Welsh Waun Ddyfal ("the waste mead.") A tract of land, mostly pasture, lying immediately north of Cardiff. The English name distinguishes it from the Great Heath, in Welsh Mynydd Bychan ("the Little Heath,") which extends further to the north. Sold to various persons 1803-1835. Mynydd Bychan (Little Heath in Welsh) was a hunting area for the Butes in the 19th century and was part of the Silver Jubilee for King George V, hence King George V Drive.