PROTECTION OF HEATH PARK
Members will no doubt remember that Councillor Hinchey submitted a motion to the Council to protect open spaces including Heath Park and this was supported by 46 of the 47 Councillors present.
Cllr. Hinchey has now asked the Cabinet member to consider a Dedication of Heath Park to the Citizens of Cardiff in a similar way to the ceremony and stone placement at Llanrumney Playing Fields.
He feels that this would physically demonstrate and confirm the Labour Council’s administration resolve to protect another key open space in Cardiff North thereby showing a commitment to the many thousands of people who enjoy the open spaces of Heath Park every year.
This has been agreed and we will keep you in touch as to proceedings in the future to bring this about.
On Friday 8th October 2010 the Council signed a Declaration of Trust confirming the dedication of Cathays Playing Fields and Adjoining Woodlands as part of a memorial to King George V. The Council now declares that the land shall henceforth be held upon charitable trust to permit it to be used in perpetuity for the benefit of the public.
The Council thereby covenants that it shall not dispose of all or any part of the property or erect any building on any part of the property without prior consent of Fields in Trust (registered charity 306070), and they acknowledge that the land is held subject to a charitable trust and the law relating to disposition of land held on charitable trusts applies to it. The property may continue to be used as school playing fields with normal and reasonable ancillary facilities.
It means that the vast majority of Heath Park is now protected by the same set of conditions. This latest move has been brought about by the efforts of Heath Residents Association as regards its prior application for Village Green Status for that particular property.
The Village Green application has consequently been withdrawn.
The Great Heath
A wide tract of once uncultivated land lying immediately north of Cardiff. It is divided into two portions, called in English the Great Heath, and the Little Heath, the latter lying nearest the town. The entire Heath extends from the boundary of Saint John's parish northward to the foot of Cefn-on. Common rights in the Heath were granted in ancient times to the burgesses of Cardiff, but were gradually extinguished until, early in the 19th century, the whole remainder of the common land was divided among private owners by the Enclosure Awards of 1802 and 1808. A large share fell to the Corporation, but was eventually sold. The Heath Farm lands, close to the old Race Course, were said in 1849, to raise funds for building a new Town Hall. The remainder was disposed of circa 1863, to obtain the purchase-money for the new Cemetery. On the north of Ton-yr-ywen, the Heath may be seen in is original state, clad in gorse, fern and moss.
History and Description
The University Hospital of Wales occupies a position in Heath Park. The park was previously used as a race course during the 18th Century and the early part of the 19th Century. In 1938, the land was bought by the Council and used for infantry training in the Second World War. Heath House originally occupied part of the park but was demolished having been destroyed by fire in 1980.
It forms an important part of the northern suburbs, and is a large area of 37 hectares containing pitches, woodlands, ponds and recreational facilities. The administrative centre of the Parks Service is also located in the park.
regular feature to be seen playing on the park, and a link to their site is given on the sidebar to the left.
Surrounding woods provide a great habitat for flora and fauna, and an enthusiastic band of local residents have formed “Friends of Heath Park Woodlands” who work with the Council to further improve the park. They get together on the 2nd Sunday of every month between 2-5pm,meeting at the noticeboard in the central car park.
Tennis courts, sports pitches, ‘pitch and putt’ golf and a playground are all available, and there is a wide variety of wildlife. The pond is a habitat for Great Crested Newts.
"Castle Bowmen" are an archery group who use the park on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They are based in the Park offices and set up in the field between the offices and the hospital
The park is used by many fitness groups who use the open space to exercise. Also present in the park near to the children's play are are a group of outdoor exercise machines.
There is also demonstration garden of the National Vegetable Society, and Cardiff Model Engineering Society run a model railway. They have open days when the public can ride on the trains on the miniature railway line. A fun day out!
Parking is not allowed on roads immediately surrounding the park. However there is a car park within the grounds.
The Little Heath
Mynydd Bychan ("the Little Heath") A wide tract of once uncultivated land lying to the north of Cardiff. The English name distinguishes it from the Little Heath, in Welsh Waun Ddyfal ("the waste mead,") which lies between the Great Heath and the town. The Great Heath was divided under the Enclosure Award of 1809, the Corporation of Cardiff receiving a large share in fee, which they sold to various persons between 1809 and 1849. The name Mynydd Bychan is particularly that of a small farm three miles north north-west of Cardiff, on the east side of the road to Cefn-on. In Welsh Waun Ddyfal ("the waste mead.") A tract of land, mostly pasture, lying immediately north of Cardiff. The English name distinguishes it from the Great Heath, in Welsh Mynydd Bychan ("the Little Heath,") which extends further to the north. Sold to various persons 1803-1835. Mynydd Bychan (Little Heath in Welsh) was a hunting area for the Butes in the 19th century and was part of the Silver Jubilee for King George V, hence King George V Drive.